LIFE WITH LYNN


Sharing and enjoying my small-town life with my darling husband, family, friends,
faith, two adorable Ragdoll cats and one very sassy Yorkie!


Friday, August 9, 2013

PART ONE: FINDING BRODY

Brody



















If you have been following this blog at all lately (or read THIS post) you know that I've had PUPPY FEVER for awhile now!

It didn't help matters when my dear daughter got her wonderful standard poodle puppy, Jack.  It just sent me into puppy fever overdrive!

Compounded by the dang fractured foot (see posts HERE and HERE), which meant a LOT of time feeling sorry for myself and sitting on my butt cruising the internet... where I discovered all sorts of neat things.  A forum for poodle lovers... a forum for Yorkie lovers... and oh, breeders, breeders everywhere.   Now if you read THIS POST awhile ago, you know that I'm not a total newbie to Breeder-World, although my past experiences have only been with cats.

Well, I learned right away, it's similar in the doggie world.  And frankly, again, it is shark-infested waters!  There are backyard breeders, puppy mills, and puppy brokers everywhere.  And believe me when I tell you that there are FAR MORE bad (or mediocre) breeders out there than excellent ones.   GOOD breeding is VERY hard work, with very little financial pay-off.  Sadly, most people are far more interested in making money at the animals' expense than working selflessly to BETTER their breed.  But don't get me started!

So... first I (finally!) chose my breed -- deciding on a Yorkie.  Like poodles, they don't shed and they don't (typically) have that doggie odor.  Also like poodles, you can "fussy-groom" them OR just keep them clipped short (which is what I plan to do.)  Yorkies simply don't need the "space" that standard poodles need; and their size makes them easier to take places and travel with.  Plus they simply *can't* counter-surf, LOL!  Yorkies are smart, sassy, sweet, loving little dogs who don't seem to know they are small!

Next I narrowed down my search to several breeders who met my exceedingly high expectations and standards.  Most excellent breeders have waiting lists, so it's not uncommon to have to wait for one of their pups.  But I got lucky when Deb Sillers of Amazing Yorkies (in Fairfax, MO) had just what I was looking for *when* I was looking.  (My criteria: a healthy, well-bred, well socialized pup, no preference of gender, not a "teeny-tiny", affectionate, confident, laid back; not nervous or high-strung.)  Deb said that she had a pup that met all my criteria (in fact, she was saving him for the show ring)... but she must have liked me (LOL!) because she offered him to me.  I was ECSTATIC!

Deb has been amazing -- so friendly, helpful and knowledgable.  It has been a pleasure to get to know her.  We have been in touch OFTEN (I hope I haven't been a PEST... gulp!)  She has sent me photos, a video, frequent reports and updates.  No question went unanswered.

My husband and I have named him Brody and he is almost 5 months old.  Deb has had him vet-checked, neutered, micro-chipped, and all vaccinations.   He's ready for us, and we are ready for him; he comes home on Tuesday!   *Happy dance!*    STAY TUNED FOR PART 2!!!

Brody 
















No comments:

Post a Comment