Just look at this glorious bowl of mixed hot peppers, fresh from the garden! Oh, yum! The POTENTIAL!
I love hot peppers... and making jalapeño poppers is one of my favorite snacks.
But it was a Thursday evening and we needed DINNER, and this recipe, "Jalapeño Popper Quiche", from Closet Cooking began dancing in my head! If you have seen my recipe for Reuben Casserole or Pepperoni Pizza Soup, then you know how I love to take favorite, familiar flavors, shake them up and turn them into something unusual. THIS recipe, using all the ingredients of jalapeño poppers was right up my jalapeño-lovin' alley!
AAAAND... it was QUICK. It was EASY. It was DELICIOUS! Because of all that, it earned a well-deserved post as a "Week Night Wonder"!
JALAPEÑO POPPER QUICHE
A cheesy quiche with all of the flavors of jalapeño poppers including cheddar cheese, cream cheese, jalapeños plus a crispy crust!
Servings: makes 6 servings
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, lightly pre-baked
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 jalapenos, diced (seed them if you prefer less heat)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- [I added 1/2 of an onion diced small and 2 cloves of garlic minced]
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated [I used more]
- Spread the cream cheese over the bottom of the pie crust and sprinkle on the diced jalapenos.
- Heat the milk and cream [and onion and garlic] over medium heat until just before it boils, about 5 minutes and pour it into a large bowl.
- Pour the eggs into the heated cream while stirring constantly.
- Mix in the paprika and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, arrange the jalapeno slices on top, sprinkle with cheese and bake until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown, about 15 minutes
If you can take THE HEAT (LOL!), I totally recommend this recipe!
It's a definite *YUM!*
Do you have a week night wonder that YOU love?