LIFE WITH LYNN


Sharing and enjoying my small-town life with my darling husband, family, friends,
faith, two adorable Ragdoll cats and one very sassy Yorkie!


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

"Appreciation" is something I feel passionately about. A person doesn't need to be *smart* or rich or good-looking to express (and show) appreciation.

It is my strong feeling that, as adults, nobody in this world owes any of us anything! So any time that anyone goes out of his/her way to do something *nice* for us, I believe that appreciation should be shown. Sometimes a simple, but heartfelt "Thank you!" is all that's needed... sometimes a written thank you note... and sometimes, nothing less than a sincere and reciprocal act of thoughtful kindness will do.

The exception, of course, is children... they come into this world totally dependant on their parents for everything... and it is our job (and our joy) to provide that. So I'm not talking about children... I am talking about adults. And as adults, I think that we all need to cultivate an attitude of gratitude.

Lack of gratitude, in my opinion, all comes down to selfishness and rudeness. People who seem to flatly feel that they are OWED things (simply by nature of their breathing air?!) drive me crazy! I just want to shake them and ask, "Who do you think you are?!" The world does NOT owe any of us a living!

Life is so much sweeter and so much more *fun* when you appreciate and acknowledge what people who care about you do for you. Cultivating gratitude and appreciation makes us more loving, warm, LIKABLE people. It strengthens our bonds of family and friends and enriches our lives. And THAT, in my opinion, is a goal well worth striving for!

No comments:

Post a Comment